I’m getting ready to build my second mini quadcopter aka drone and I realized that I hadn’t blogged about the first one I managed to cobble together. I started ordering parts around this time last year based on other build logs on RCGroups.com, reddit.com/r/multicopter, and FliteTest. For my first 250 size quad I may have gone a bit overboard. Here is the full initial part list:
- Emax 250 Pro All Carbon Fiber Quad Kit
- Naze32 Rev5 Acro Flight Controller
- Cobra 2204 1960kv Brushless Motor
- Rotorgeeks 12A BLHeli ESC v4 – Quadpack
- Sony Super HAD CCD 600TVL Super Mini FPV Camera
- Mobius ActionCam Wide Angle
- 5.8 GHz 200mW TS 5823 32CH FPV Transmitter
- Fat Shark Dominator V2
- IBCrazy 5.8 LHCP Airblade Antenna Set
- Misc build parts (XT60 Power Lead, M3 Standoffs/Screws/Nuts)
I later replaced the Rotorgeek 12A ESCs with SN20A Mini ESCs to get newer features like Oneshot and active braking. The Rotorgeek ESCs did overheat and shut off in mid flight on occasion as well. I had mounted them between the inner carbon fiber plates of the Emax 250 frame instead of on the arms under the prop wash. If I had mounted them on the arms I think I could have avoided any overheating problems. The SN20A ESCs had been preforming well but after a couple weeks of use one did catch fire. I’m really glad I decided to install them on the arms. 🙂 The replacement ESC has been holding up fine so far but I’m going to go with different ESCs on any future builds.
My new quad will be smaller at 180mm and I’ll do a detailed build log for that one. If you have any questions about this little drone please post below in the comments.